July 8, 2010

Diva 
Diva - Driving home from work one chilly evening, I noticed a stray dog trying to knock over a trash can at a rural Rest stop. The dog trotted off to an old house down the hillside. I made a mental note to stop by soon. It was an adult female dog and probably unfixed. The only thing worse than one stray dog is ten stray dogs.


The next day, I drove to the old farm property. There were abandoned cars and broken glass littering the ground. The  dog, a young Shepherd mix, happily greeted me. I knocked on the door and asked the family if they would let me take the dog to the vet tomorrow, for free shots and sterilization. I offered to transport the dog, to be sure she made it to the vet. It eliminates excuses. They said "yes," and explained she was a stray. I requested they keep the dog closer to home, but they had no fence. I didn't want to suggest a chain, as I believe it's a fate worse than death.


I picked the dog up the next morning and loaded her into a crate. That night, when I took the dog home, no one was home. I left post-surgery care notes, my phone number and wished the dog luck. We had no foster space, or I would have asked to keep the sweet natured dog.


As I was driving off, I saw something move in the weedy pasture and freeze near an old pile of lumber. It was a tiny kitten. She came bounding to me through the brush and into my arms. I was thankful for this little miracle, as the kitten was skinny and the timing perfect. She wouldn't last long with hungry coyotes. Diva was a princess, very affectionate and loving. She now enjoys a permanent home in Austin, with a nice family and a little boy, who cherishes his royal cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment