August 3, 2010

Tiny Iris- first week
Canterbury
Iris 
Canterbury and Tiny Iris - These two unusual dogs came from a dirt poor, run-down trailer park in Bastrop, Texas. Bonny, a conscientious, but penniless resident of the park, found a brindle Boxer and a 3 week old puppy. The puppy's mom had been hit by a car. The skinny Boxer was dumped because she was 'in heat' and the owner didn't want her anymore. Bonny asked me to take the 2 dogs, since she didn't want to take them to the Animal Shelter. I had no foster space, but agreed to take them just to get them out of the park where they'd have multitudes of unwanted puppies.

I was shocked when I saw the tiny, dehydrated, mangy puppy wrapped in a towel, slung over Bonny's shoulder. I barely noticed the large brown dog stuffed into a crate in the front yard. 

After a few hours of caring for the shrunken puppy, we heard the silent brown dog whimper in the hot plastic crate. I peered into the shadowed entrance and a stoic dog stared quietly back at me. I promised myself that both dogs would go to the Austin shelter, but this young dog was being so patient that I considered fostering her. She had the face of a gargoyle, inset eyes, sculpted features and a muscular body. We named her after the British Gothic cathedral, Canterbury. After a short time on the rescue website, Canter found a family that treasured her heritage.

The mystery puppy began a long recovery (and didn't go to the shelter). She gained weight, her patchy fur grew in and she morphed into a black pitbull! Like most terriers, she was charming and funny. Black pitbulls take longer to find good homes, so she needed an old fashioned name, for an old fashioned breed. We named her Iris, (a popular name in the roaring 20's) and Tiny Iris found a perfect adopter in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment